Sunday, July 26, 2009

INSPIRATION SPECIFICATIONS

I was talking up my Spring/Summer 2010 collection several months ago, emphasizing the English Patient/archeology inclinations I was having. Those are still present, but a few new influences have sprung up over the last few weeks. 

There has been an ongoing theme of homesickness in my over-analytical thoughts as of late, the juxtaposition of being in a huge city and longing for fields of waist-high grass to run through, wearing heels to try and feel in charge and adult, while I daydream of being barefoot on riversides and hiking through forests, which brings us to New Inspiration #1: Koyaanisqatsi




The opposite draws of civilization and nature have always been equally strong for me, and never more intensely than now. It's as if I'm stretched out over the entire country, my feet in Kansas, my hands reaching out toward either coast. 
Growing up in the woods made the grass seem greener in Central Park, I suppose. But I haven't even been to Central Park since I've been here. Once Brea and I make our pilgrimage into Manhattan, hopefully I'll be able to spend some time at the oasis. Though don't get me wrong, the city has many a glittering light that I'm a bigger sucker for than any moth. There's enough artistry in architecture to keep me wide-eyed and dreaming for ages. 

Secondly, I have an overwhelming feeling that the fashion world will be paying tribute this season to our dearly departed MJ. I certainly don't intend on changing my entire aesthetic and suddenly bursting out with sequined and shoulder-padded pop-glam ferociousness, but at the same time, after his death, I couldn't help being seduced by a sudden urge to listen to Billie Jean repeatedly. Afterall, it used to be my ringtone.
 So my mini tribute to the King of Pop, who (although we are all understandably exhausted of the media coverage) undeniably influenced and shaped all of our lives somehow, is based upon Brooke Shield's Little Prince reference at his funeral*

The Little Prince has been my favorite book my ENTIRE LIFE. Not only has the story and its meaning always kept me humble and thankful, but it played a major role in a past love affair of mine, brought me calm security and hope in times of trouble, and has generally helped me understand the meaning of life. No small feat. Plus, how convenient, the book takes place in the Sahara desert.




So New York, I'm set to throw caution to the wind. This is going to be my all-out dream collection! I know, I say that every season.



*DISCLAIMER: Those of you who know me (and anyone that has read this blog previously) knows that I am not one for celebrity worship. At all. We are all just people, plain and simple. And I mean that about ALL people, not just in referenced to fame. Artists, mothers, policemen, world leaders, celebrities, truck drivers, heiresses, prisoners, everyone. We were all brought into this world the same way, naked. The fact remains that some people happen to have a spark in them that can light up the whole fucking world, even if only for a minute. So if a person, any person, effects my life, I'm going to show tribute, even in my own head.



No comments: