Friday, July 31, 2009

RED AND WILD LIKE AUTUMN LEAVES

I've had an on and off life-long affair with being a faux ginger all my life, and right now it's ON.
Now I just have to wait for it to grow and somehow cease being a frizzy disaster, then I can reach these heights, or ...lengths:

And then of course, as always my muse, the incomparable Natalie Ribbons. Though my hair is nowhere near the fantastic shade of hers, I suppose it is in part a tribute to my dear friend, a constant inspiration and a girl I miss like nobody's business. Natalie told me once (or twice) that she felt bright red was her natural haircolor, she should have been born with it. I've never known her with any other shade, so I second this wholeheartedly.


There is something to that though. I have gone blonde a few times, and every time I feel as though something is off until I go back to a darker shade. I don't feel like myself as a blonde, which I suppose is possibly the whole point. My hair was brown-black for a long time, in between bouts of red and blonde, but red was always the most entrancing, made my eyes light up the most when wondering "should I?' in the hair color aisle. Anyhow.
My locks, my eyes closed:

I love wearing neutrals and having my hair as the only pop of color. 
Although it sometimes makes for off-color comments, kind of like what happens 
when you walk through Jersey City to the train station wearing a skirt. 
God forbid! Such heinous crimes!

1 comment:

natalie ribbons said...

I love my fellow redhead! Haven't visited your blog in a while. Was shocked to find a gigantic picture of...me.

XO